Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Clay Pots - gratitude


“And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.” – 1 John 5:15

Tingon came to me and told me this story the other day:

“About 2 days ago, my wife and I woke up, cooked food and went outside our house to go give food to our two pigs. But when we got there, we saw that they had both vomited everything in their stomachs, and were now lying on their sides, barely alive. They were on the road of death. This was a huge thing to me, so I told my wife to get some cold water, and when she came back, I poured the cool water over their bodies, and then I put my hands on their heads and prayed. I said, ‘God, you know that this is a big heavy. You gave me these pigs to look out for, and you know what they are used for in our culture, and how important they are to me. You also made them, so you care for them. And you care for me. So I am just asking that you will heal these two pigs of mine, so that they will not die.’ I prayed that, and then I prayed that same prayer again later that day. I knew that these pigs were going to die. They were on the road to death, and there was nothing I could do for them. In the past, I would have called the “cold” man, and he would have said some words, poured some special blend of water and blood and herbs over them, and cast out the bad spirit. But I knew that wasn’t the true way. So I waited and prayed. Then last night, I was ready to go to sleep, and I prayed a third time to God to heal my pigs. When I got done praying (and this is the truth), I felt a total peace from God. I just KNEW that my pigs were going to be alright. And I lay down and went to sleep. This morning, I woke up and went outside, and there they were, standing there ready to eat. And I went over and gave them food and they ate! I tell you the truth, I have never seen anything like this in my whole life! This was impossible, they were as good as dead, but God healed them for me. I thank him for that. So I came today to help you teach God’s word to the people because this story was just burning in my liver... I was so thankful. And as I left, I was just so happy I went over and patted the two pigs on the head and said, ‘See, God is watching out for us,’ and I came here.”

Later, he told me that he has an even greater desire to study, read, and teach God’s Word, because he is just so thankful for what God has done for him. Not only did he save him from sin, hell, and Satan, but he also is caring for his every need!

Isn’t that what it is all about? Service to God out of gratitude, not grudgingly or in order to gain favor. We already have favor in God’s eyes, and we are already as loved as we ever could be because we are in his Son. Why is it that we constantly need to be reminded of that fact? And the simple prayer of faith, just KNOWING that we have the request which we have asked of the Father, because we know that he hears us. This is a changed man… but it is only by the grace of God, through belief in his Word.

No comments: