Friday, February 15, 2008

Clay Pots - depart from iniquity


“Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity.”

Kips, the fighter
Just before Christmas I sent out an email explaining that if Kips’s relative came from the town of Lae, that the two of them would probably have a huge fight, possibly ending in the death of one of them. I also shared how one Sunday we all met together and Welsen and some of the other believers came beside Kips to encourage him not to fight, but to forgive this man and walk away; and then how they had all prayed together for Kips. Kips had readily admitted that he was contemplating killing the guy, but he knew that that was from Satan. 

Well, here is the rest of the story: A few weeks later Kips came up to me and said, “I know that God is alive.” (meaning, God really does answer prayer). So I asked him why he said that, and he said to me, “Remember when we prayed on that Sunday about me not fighting with my relative? Well, in my heart I forgave him, and decided that I was not going to fight him even if he came and called me out. But then a few of his friends came to the village the other day, and they brought word from him. And this is what they said, ‘We sat down and talked about what we would do to you; but instead of deciding to fight, your relative said he forgave you, and that if he were ever to come to Lengbati, that the two of you would shake hands and kiss (sign of affection and total agreement).’” Then Kips said to me, “The reason I said that I know that God is alive, is not only because he forgave me and I forgave him; but because they told me that the day that they had met to talk about this was the same Sunday which we prayed together.” That sent chills up my spine as I heard it… yes, God is alive and he is working out his plan for his children.

Alex, the fiery temper
There were times in the past when the community was ready to kill Alex because of his incessant anger. Well, there was a group of people from another village who had a gripe with him, so they took him to court a few weeks ago. Last year, during the election time, he and a few others were traveling to a couple other villages on a campaign trail. One of the young boys who went with them had stolen a can of tinned fish, and lied about it. Well, Alex, as our village magistrate, was told about it, found the evidence, and made the boy pay compensation for it to the offended party. During the course of that time, he had hit the boy in the face. Well, a few days later (or weeks, we don’t know which), a tooth fell out of the boys mouth. So now 8 months later, the family of this boy got angry, and greedy for money, so they came to court Alex for causing his tooth to fall out. If they won the court, then they would get compensated with money. I sat in during the court, but didn’t say anything… I just wanted to watch and see what was going to happen. How would Alex respond to false accusations and no proof? Both the young boy and Alex gave their stories, and Alex did admit to hitting him twice in the face for stealing. But there was no evidence that the tooth fell out because of that hit. But, the court officials (who were not Christians) decided in favor of the boy and charged Alex.

A few days later I was in the village of the accusers, and they said to me, “We wanted to kiss and hug Alex for how he conducted himself during the court. He told his story truthfully, did not get angry, submitted to the authorities, and was very peaceful. We saw this in his life, and we knew that Jesus has changed him. We saw the fruit of his belief and baptism in his life.” What an amazing testimony!

Welsen, the instigator
A week ago, there was a huge disturbance in our village. We had sent out a young lady to the hospital in town with NTM Aviation because she was very sick and not eating and couldn’t swallow. Well, on Wednesday night of last week, the family heard over the radio that she had died in town. So there was screaming, yelling, wailing, but also angry fighting type of sounds, people angrily running up and down the airstrip hitting houses with bush knives. We found out later, that everyone was angry at the school teacher, who had supposedly had relations with her… in their minds they thought that he was the cause of the sickness which took her life. So they wanted to kill the teacher. In the morning, Welsen and a few other believers came to our houses here and we talked through this situation a bit. Welsen said that he could see this situation causing a lot of problems and conflicts in the village, and also in the midst of us believers. So he decided that we should pray. So we did, and he led us in a prayer for God’s protection, wisdom, and insight into how to handle this situation so it didn’t escalate and cause more problems. Then we had to go up for a court regarding some of the damages done to personal and community property. Welsen did not want to go with us. So I asked why, and he said, “You remember that before I was saved, I instigated many fights. Well, I know that if I go right now and look at the faces of those responsible for this disturbance, then I will probably sin by getting angry, starting a fight, or something. And I don’t want to do that, because Jesus wouldn’t want me to do that.” I was again very encouraged. Here is a man who was fleeing from sin (2 Tim. 2:22).

May you be encouraged in the Greatness of our God.

No comments: