Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Clay Pots ~ Culture Stress


One of my better moments…


I have been culturally stressed this past month beyond anything I could have ever imagined. We have lived in the tribe for almost 6 years now and I feel like it was only today that we moved in. I was at the ladies bible study a few weeks ago and began to pinpoint some of the specific things that were stressing me out. Maybe you can pick out some things that just wouldn’t happen at your ladies Bible study in the States?….

We ladies gathered together and sat on the cold, wet, dirt floor of a small grass hut. The lady picked to share that day had her 3 year old son go from breast to breast nursing as he pleased while she shared from the book of Acts. He held her shirt up and for 10 minutes we had a topless speaker. To keep from staring I decided to count the flies that I was wildly trying to keep off my face. I got to a 100 and realized I should be paying attention to the speaker. By now her son was done nursing but had pooped in his pants right next to her so she took his clothes off, threw them in her bag, and he ran around her naked. And no, she never missed a beat the whole time. She then noticed that his nose was running (more like huge chunks of snot hanging down his face) and took her bare hands and wiped it off and then wiped it on her shirt. So I decided to count the bugs again. There was a weird looking orange spider that had crawled on my shirt, a fluorescent blue bug on it’s way to my leg, and something much bigger than a fly was trying to land in my hair! (Did you know God made 3 inch long furry bees?!!)…I was getting the willies and ready to cry. Then I started to cry. Not because my emotions were at an all time high but because the smoke from the fire in the middle of the hut was hurling large amounts of smoke at me (I am sure on purpose!). I was drenched in smoke and my nostrils were burning, so I moved closer to the lady sitting next to me to get out of the path way of the smoke. I offered to hold her baby while she got something out of her string bag. The baby peed all over me. Now I smelled of smoke and pee . So I tried focusing on something else and looked away. Only to be met by intense staring. Every child in the hut was watching me. That hasn’t changed in 6 years. I am constantly being stared at. You would think they would get used to me and my white skin and red hair! I even wear the same clothes so there’s nothing new to look at. But every move and word is seen and heard. They will actually notice if a piece of my hair falls out of my head and will grab it to inspect it. Now that is fishbowl living! I looked at my watch. 3 hours we have been sitting here and we haven’t even begun to pray yet which would take another couple hours. I cant feel my legs, I need to start dinner, and I really needed a shower. So I got up and left.

That’s it. The climax of my story. I left. I want you to know that even though I am supposed to be an “experienced” missionary…I make mistakes, more than I care to admit. I let these trivial things get to me and missed truly fellowshipping with these ladies because I was grossed out.

Will you pray for me as I try in the following months to ignore my culture stress and be sensitive to the Spirit?

His Clay Pot,
Kellie for the family

3 comments:

Pat said...

No, nothing you said can be found at our Bible studies! We thank God for women like you, who even though you may think you make mistakes you have been willing to be there! Should I have seen that spider I would have probably fallen in the fire trying to get away! My husband & I will be coming to see our daughter in April, Stacy & Aaron Jex. Lord willing we will be meeting you when we come for a 3 day visit to the Tobo tribe. I will count it an honor and a priviledge to meet you and your family along with the Williamsons. Back here in the states my family all follow your website and pray for you ministry there amoung the Tobo people. God bless you, Pat Rohm

Anonymous said...

Bless you dear missionary woman, wife, and mom. I will pray for you. You know since the other post mentions you'll be in the states in May... You will be HUGELY (that's not a word in any language/dilect) challenged in these months. Just my guess. It's the way it seems to work at times. I'm sorry I giggled while reading your post. I know every bit is true and more. We're in Guatemala and I soooooo could be one of those 100 flies and see exactly all you said (as i read your post).

No your post isn't funny and i am not laughing *at* you - but people are funny and some situations, can be. I commend that one momma for not skipping a beat (in her culture/ways). I, on the other hand, felt all icky when you described what was happening to you; the smoke, the stares, the pee, and flies. UGH! When all your senses are being tormented, it's tough for sure. *HUGS* to you and I was impressed you lasted that long!!!

Blessings,
Jackie Davis
www.SharingHisPlan.com

Jill Williamson said...

Hi! Just wanted you to know tht I am Jason Williamson's Mom and my husband and I follow your website. Thankyou so much for sharing from your heart. I cried through the whole thing. Partly because it opened my eyes to what Jason and Nisae are experiencing, but mostly because I felt challenged not to hold on to the "things" we have. Those things do not matter, but to remember only what is done for Christ does. We pray for you that the Lord will give you the grace you need during the hard times. We will be coming in the fall. I think you will be in the states. Maybe. Hopefully we will meet face to face. Give my kids and grandkids a hug from us.
In Christ,
Jill Williamson