Friday, January 14, 2011

Clay Pots ~ Immersion School


Thank goodness for Llamas

It is hard to believe that it is halfway through January already. I have had a busy week, but I wanted to catch you up on what is going on so that you can be in prayer. First of all, I am heading out on Saturday for Guatemala for 4 weeks of immersion Spanish study. I will be attending a school during the day and staying with a host family during the evenings. I am hoping that I can accelerate my Spanish study during this month and come back with the ability to carry on simple conversation, talk on the phone, and be able to build on that base during this spring and summer's activities in Waukesha. Be in prayer for Kellie and the kids as they will be home alone for that month; and pray for me, that I will learn quickly and retain it all; and that I will be a blessing to those I come in contact with.
Another thing which you can be praying for is the Common Ground garden project. God has really been at work with this and I am getting pretty excited about how things are starting to come together. As you know, the ground has been turned over, which is a good start, but there is still a long way to go. Some friends of mine have really jumped in and done some amazing work. Through them, a local tree trimming company has graciously donated free wood chips (which I believe will be a big help in cutting down the mud and in retaining moisture) and we have a means of acquiring llama manure as our fertilizer this first year. I don't know much about llamas, but I have read enough to know that they make the best manure for gardens! Also, I have been looking into sources for seeds and have found what I believe to be a very reasonable source. Remember, we want to be able to provide seeds for the participants free of cost. In my ideal world, I would like to purchase these seeds this year, and then harvest our own and save them from year to year afterwards and never really have to pay for seeds again. The total cost for slightly under the amount of seeds we need will be around $450.00, but if I wanted to have excess (which I think would be a good idea), then I am estimating the cost to be $615.00. If you feel that helping us purchase some seed would be a way in which you would like to participate in this project, please contact me through email (because I will be out of country for awhile) or send a check specifying the garden project to:
Clay Pots
S53 WW24079 Glendale Rd.
Waukesha, WI 53189
Keep praying about this up-coming year. I think God has big things in store and look forward to updating you as we find out more. I will try to send out an update or two from down in Guatemala. See you all in a month.
Peace,
Jason for Kellie, Micah, Sophia, and Malachi Knapp

No comments: